Region 8 (Wayne-Monroe) Science Olympiad!
Tournament will be held in March 2023
This year's tournament is tentatively scheduled for
March 4th at Wayne State University.
We are just awaiting affirmation that the rooms we need will be available that day; we should have tournament date confirmed by Friday 11/4. Thank you for your patience while we work this out -- Wayne State has so much to offer our students, that this will surely be worth the wait!
NOTE: a new feature is coming to this year's Regionals. If a pair of students wins an event (1st place), but belongs to a team that did not qualify for States, that pair of students (plus an adult chaperone) will be invited to States to compete in their event, for a chance to medal at States as well! So hardworking students on small teams have a chance for some personal success!
PLEASE NOTE: The State Tournament at MSU will be held on Saturday April 22nd. This date permits them to have an in-person awards ceremony for the tournament. Please mark your calendars and let your students know the date
DIVISION B UPDATE: Registration is now open for the COBRA invitational. There is a Google site for tournament information and to fill out the form with your team info. Registration payments must be made through Avogadro, which will be used for self-scheduling and scoring. To find out more go to the Cobra Invitational website
Checklist for getting started:
2022-2023 Event Rules are available now from Nationals at soinc.org One of this year's new events is Forestry. It might be worth getting out to collect some leaf samples now, before they're all gone - they'll be gone soon enough!.
Before you Register:
1. Get the pdf of this year’s Rules for free from National Science Olympiad at soinc.org – be advised that several new events are introduced each year, and some recurring events change their focus, so every year you need new rules (Be sure to keep checking the National site for FAQ’s and rule updates and corrections. These may be posted throughout the season and can be critical to success in your events)
2. If you are new to Science Olympiad, use the miscioly.org website to find out your correct region and contact the regional director to get on their e-mail list so you can keep up with communications.
When you're Ready to Register:
3. Register your team with State and Nationals (its one step for both) at miscioly.org. I can't stress this enough. You cannot compete in regionals or invitationals if you are not registered with state and nationals.
4. Register your team for Regionals. Do this precisely. Be sure to wait until the official registration platform has been shared with you. Since success at regionals is a stepping stone to the State tournament, you can only register for ONE regional tournament. You don’t want to accidentally register for the wrong Regional! When in doubt, confirm with your regional director how to register. NOTE: please do not attempt to register with Region 8 before being invited to do so. Incorrect registrations must be deleted at the National level
5. Consider Registering for Invitationals. These are a great way to practice, and to give junior team members a chance to compete
6. Attend (or view) the kickoff meeting and coaches’ clinic(s) to get tips on how to coach this years events – a listing of local coaches’ clinics and build workshops can be found on the Michigan Science Olympiad page here. If you need help finding them, don’t hesitate to ask your Regional leadership!
COACH and STUDENT WORKHOPS
save the dates --
11/5 virtual coaches' clinic (free to participate, but registration is required)
12/3 in-person event workshop at MSU (open to students and event coaches; $10 fee)
register for Workshops on Avogadro in the drop down menu of events
2023 Team Registration
***Registration deadline to avoid $100 late fee charges is 12/15/22*** The last date to register to count in our Region's total for state bids is February 1st. The number of state bids we receive is a percentage of the teams we have registered before February 1st, if you register after that, it makes our region more competitive (more teams vying for the same number of spots at States), so please register on time!
This year State will introduce the Avogadro platform for registrations, payment, scheduling, scoring, and management of Michigan Science Olympiad tournaments; If you go to miscioly.org the main registration button will take you to a tutorial with step-by-step pictures and instructions for how to register on Avogadro. Region 8 is included in this platform. If you view the tutorial, the last screen has links for each of the regional tournaments, so you can click and go directly to regstration. (user tip: when you create a new Avogadro account, it will send you an e-mail where you have to click the link to activate your account. 90% of the time, this confirmation e-mail goes to people's Spam folder. It is sent almost immediately, so if it's not in your inbox, check spam) When you register for State, this will be combined as one step to also register for Nationals. In the next screen, you can select your Regional and register for that. When you "check out," you can then make just one payment to cover all three. Avogadro will have greater flexibility for payment, as it will include a credit card option, and with only one payment, it will make it easier for schools to process. You will still be able to pay by check, if that is what your school prefers, by selecting "pay offline" and Avagadro will generate an invoice for you to print and mail in. Avogadro will send an immediate receipt to your e-mail when you register and pay.
Resources for students: even if your students don't particpate in the MySO event competitions, each month the MySO program offers notes and powerpoints that are accessible for free for any student. It's a great way to get started learning an event. Crave the Wave, WiFi Lab, Sounds of Music, and Forestry are already available! check it out at: https://www.soinc.org/myso
2023 Kickoff Meeting to be announced soon
Please support us when you buy on Amazon:
This costs you nothing. Amazon Smile will donate a small amount on many purchases when you shop using smile.amazon.com